Information Landmine

"The Americans keep telling us how successful their system is. Then they remind us not to stray too far from our hotel at night." - An un-named EU trade representative quoted during international trade talks in Denver, Colorado, 1997.

Monday, February 05, 2007

On that note...

The other gentlemen make a lot of sense, and certainly lay their issues out with cold precision. I am not them.

The truth is we're mired in the Golden Age of Greed (tm). As noted below, companies like Exxon are raking in the cash at a record breaking rate. But then we've got companies like Ford.

If I were an executive of Ford (and, yes, I know they make lots of money, but we all know the executives at Exxon made a lot more than the executives at Ford this year), I would be pretty pissed. Here we have the Unholy Alliance of American Automotives (tm): The car companies build cars with terrible MPGs, the oil companies charge $3.56 a gallon - everyone makes money.

Except that Americans are tired of cars with shitty gas mileage (again) so we're buying more Japanese cars (again), leaving companies like Ford (who conspire to keep MPGs low) out in the rain. Am I the only one here who remembers the 70s?

The oil companies will continue to extort our dollar at a momentus profit for only so long as we buy cars with shitty MPG. While I'm not even sure if the hybrid-thing is worth it, I know that owning a car with less than 20 MPG is not.

Of course, I'm not a Ford executive. And I'm glad of that. Truth be told, I would rather no one got to drive cars and we all had to walk or take the tram.

First post concluded.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

What about the bicycle option?

05 February, 2007 16:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Support the Open Rights Group Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.